cwmbwergwm
Industrial Wales - Monmouthshire's Western Valley
Crosskeys, Waun-fawr and North Risca
including Waun-fawr, North Risca Colliery and Cox's Quarry
Search the site here

The Industrial Archaeology and history of Crosskeys, Waun-fawr and North Risca

Click on the button to go to :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Crosskeys

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     Blackvein or Waun-fawr village     Full Moon     North Risca Colliery
Cox's Quarry     Pontymister and Risca     Risca Blackvein Colliery and Archdeacon Coxe

Cwm-byr-isaf farm - ST 2294 9184

Around Crosskeys

Halls Road Tramroad through Crosskeys

Halls Road Tramroad was originally a tramroad and then converted to a railway. It left the Western Valley line at Limekiln Junction in Risca and then ran through Crosskeys to Pontywaun before crossing the valley. Between Halls Road and the canal there's an odd collection of old sheds and foundations.

Drill Hall Level - ST 2269 9165

The Drill Hall in question turns up on the 1901 map and seems to be still there in the early 1970s. The colliery itself was a 19th century venture shown on the Tithe or Tredegar Estate map dating from the 1830s. This shows the two Drill Hall levels, Lemans (upper) and Protheroes (lower). Protheroe's level today emerges below the railway at the end of Greenmeadow Drive. Lemans level is next to an iron ventilation pipe which could have been for a ventilation furnace or fan, or just simply a gas vent? It certainly goes down at least 12 ft below ground.

Possibly an Incline? - ST 2302 9168 to ST 2255 9133

This could be a possible location for Archdeacon Coxe's incline from the canal to Old Blackvein Colliery. The lay of the land suggests that there could have been a more gentle incline from the canal down to the railway (then a tramroad), down Medart Street and along Blackvein Road and back to Old Blackvein Colliery.
Full details are here :-     Risca Blackvein Colliery


Blackvein or Waun-fawr village

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     Blackvein or Waun-fawr village     Full Moon     North Risca Colliery
Cox's Quarry     Pontymister and Risca     Risca Blackvein Colliery and Archdeacon Coxe

Blackvein or Waun-fawr was a very disparate collection of houses, cottages and a school next to Blackvein Colliery. Until the 1950s the area was always shown as 'Waun-fawr' om the OS maps but now it is marked as 'Glenside' as so much of the old village has gone. It's often referred to locally and on census returns as Blackvein, Blackvein Cottages and Blackvein Bungalows.
The original Risca Blackvein Colliery and the industries around it have their own page here :-

Benson's Level - ST 2212 9128

Benson's level appears to be a drainage level, found just above the river by the footbridge. Being directly above the river there must have been another entrance higher up, somewhere around ST 218913. There were other small levels along the by-pass including Jack-y-North Pit at ST 221912 and Rock Vein on the middle of the by-pass roundabout at ST 214914.

Glenside Bungalows - ST 2196 9124

There was a row of wooden bungalows known generally as 'Glenside Bungalows' to the West of Glenside House, past the pond. They were built after 1920 and demolished around 1959 the reason given was that they lacked mains water & drainage systems, hmmm. According to the 1962 OS map, beside the pond was 'Woodboro' with 'Park View' next door. Following on were Nos 3 to 6, 8 and 9, Nos 7 and 10 had already been demolished. The ruins are still there beside the footpath to Full Moon.

Chris Winton recalls "As a boy (aged 6 to 16) I lived with my parents and siblings at 8 Glenside Bungalows from late 1949 until late 1959 – a period I look back on with great nostaglia and fond memories – the whole area shown on the 1962 map was for us boys and girls what today would be called an adventure playground. The bungalows were condemned in 1959, ostensibly because they lacked mains water & drainage systems, however there were ulterior motives. There was a Number 7 Glenside Bungalows, this was soon demolished after everyone moved away in 1959, hence not showing up on the 1962 map. Some of the owners, including my father, reclaimed much of the material to build sheds, etc. or sell on. There was originally a Number 10 Glenside Bungalows, but this burnt down in about 1950, nearly taking 9 and 8 with it. The pond shown on the map was known as Pym’s pond."

The centre of the village

Glenside Cottages - ST 2234 9115

The majority of Waun-fawr village has been demolished with the exception of a handful of much-rebuilt properties. Glenside House, Woodlands and Cartref have been swept away by the by-pass and further up Maytree Cottage and Sunnybank have disappeared. There was a terrace of 3 or 4 wooden cottages where the modern 'Glenside' now stands.

The Reservoir or Pym's Pond - SO 2216 9120

The remains of a small reservoir or pond may be the site of the very old Jack-y-North Pit. The stump of the gaslamp is by the footbridge. The inscription reads "Ham Baker and Co Limited. Engineers. Westminster".

The Cottages beside the tramroad

Bluebell Bungalow - ST 2233 9104
Waun-fawr Bungalow - ST 2237 9104

OS maps show a pair of detached cottages to the North of the tramroad called 'Bluebell Bungalow' and 'Waun-fawr Bungalow'.

Un-named bungalow - ST 2241 9101
Round Bungalow - ST 2244 9101

Similarly there were two cottages to the South of the tramroad near the head of the incline. The Eastern bungalow was 'Round Bungalow' but the other isn't named.


Full Moon

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     Blackvein or Waun-fawr village     Full Moon     North Risca Colliery
Cox's Quarry     Pontymister and Risca     Risca Blackvein Colliery and Archdeacon Coxe

Full Moon Crossing - ST 2103 9127

The Full Moon Inn was a pub that stood beside the level crossing where the parish road crossed the Sirhowy Tramroad and GWR / LNWR Sirhowy Valley line from Risca. It's now the start of the Sirhowy Valley Country Park.

Rock Vein Colliery - ST 2155 9140

The Rock Vein Colliery is first shown on the Tithe Map of 1843, owned by John Russell of Blackvein Colliery. It on the 1880 OS map, 'disused' by 1901 and the site cleared by '1920'. The shafts of the colliery were allegedly in the centre of the Full Moon roundabout under the manhole covers but the OS map would place them on the verge of the roundabout. The quarry is still on the hillside on the opposite side of the by-pass and was connected to the colliery by a short incline.

Jack o'North Colliery or Middle Pit - ST 2186 9134

The 1880 map below and the 1901 edition show an air shaft on the right which is probably the site of Jack o'North Colliery or Middle Pit

Warren Cottages or Pen-heol-sais - ST 2048 9066

It seems reasonable to assume that 'Warren Cottages' and 'Warren House' had something to do with the nearby medieval rabbit warren. Up to the 1920s this was known as Pen-heol-sais which translates roughly as 'Head of English Road'.


North Risca Colliery

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     Blackvein or Waun-fawr village     Full Moon     North Risca Colliery
Cox's Quarry     Pontymister and Risca     Risca Blackvein Colliery and Archdeacon Coxe

North Risca Colliery - ST 2130 9160

The sinking of the New Pits, subsequently known as the North Risca Black Vein Colliery, began in 1875 by the 'London and South Wales Colliery Co Ltd' and the first coal was wound in 1878 from the original Black Vein seams. This colliery was just as dangerous as the original Blackvein Colliery at Waunfawr and in 1880 another 120 colliers were killed in a gas explosion. The company became part of the 'United National Collieries Ltd' in 1892, amalgamating with the 'Ocean Coal Co Ltd' in 1944 before nationalisation in 1947. Both winders were originally steam powered. The upcast shaft was converted to run on compressed air, while the downcast was electrified.The colliery closed in 1967 and the site is now the North Blackvein Industrial Estate where a few of the colliery buildings remain. There are also scant remains of tramway inclines to the quarries above the site. The most obvious memorial to the colliery are the tips on top of Machen Mountain.

1875 -1898

In these photos 'Ty Prince' farm is clearly visible to the West of the colliery and the Eastern quarry is at work. This quarry supplied stone for both the colliery and the village of North Risca (Crosskeys) down two inclines either side of Mount Pleasant or Craig-yr-haul farm. The last photo shows a third incline running towards what became the Western quarry. The Cornish engine house is prominent.

1898 - c1915

The colliery has expanded and 'Ty Prince' is hidden behind other buildings and the upcast shaft has low headgear. On 23 February 1901, a fire burnt down the winding house but the winding engine doesn't seem to have been badly damaged.

The photo of the crowd scene is believed to be from the National Coal Strike of 1912. A similar photo shows the same bowler-hatted gentleman, a reporter perhaps, with a different group of men at Risca Blackvein Colliery.

c1915 - c1930

The colliery has reached Wattsville and is at its greatest extent. The coke ovens have been built and the upcast shaft has new, taller headgear. Later the roof of the Cornish engine house is removed, followed by the engine house itself. The two large square stone buildings we saw at the west end of the site up towards Wattsville. They were used in connection with bi-products from the coke ovens. One of them had internal walls tar lined and with lights from outside shining in. . There were large carbides into which a colourless liquid dripped.
In 1926 the aerial ropeway was built following agreement with the GWR to cross the Sirhowy Valley line.

c1930 - c1960

The two winding house chimneys have been demolished but a new conveyor and tower have been built by the coke ovens. In latter years, railway wagons were also repaired in one of the sheds at the top of the stiff incline up through the mine site towards the coke battery end.

c1960 - 1970s

It looks as if the colliery has now closed and is getting increasing derelict.

1976 and beyond

Some of the colliery buildings are still used by light industry and commercial companies.

North Risca Colliery aerial ropeway

the aerial ropeway was built around 1926 after the GWR agreed to it crossing the Sirhowy Valley line. On closure the cable was cut and left where it fell, down the mountainside. The bases of the pylons can be followed from the river bank to the end of the tips.


Cox's Quarry, Crosskeys

Quick links to :-     Crosskeys     Blackvein or Waun-fawr village     Full Moon     North Risca Colliery
Cox's Quarry     Pontymister and Risca     Risca Blackvein Colliery and Archdeacon Coxe

Cox's Quarry, Crosskeys - ST 2165 9200


Acknowledgments, sources and further reading

Thanks for the use of their memories, photographs and maps to :- Dave Bryant, Jim Coomer, Mike Harris, Chris Winton and other members of Oxford House Industrial History Society and Risca Museum.

Bryan Morgan - 'The Location of Edward Jones' 1799 Tramroad - A personal assessment based on contemporary correspondence' - OHIHS, available on the 'publications' page of the Risca Museum website


The Rest of this Website


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins