cwmbwergwm
Industrial Wales - Monmouthshire's Western Valley
Newbridge
From Cwmcarn to Crumlin and Mynyddislwyn
Search the site here

The industrial archaeology and history of Abercarn, Newbridge, Crumlin and Kendon

Click on the button to go to :-

                        

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Newbridge

Celynen North Colliery - ST 212972

Celynen North Colliery downcast shaft was sunk in 1913, followed by the upcast and the Graig fawr house coal shafts in 1924. After an uneventful life Graig Fawr closed in 1961 and the rest of the colliery in 1989. Latterly it was connected underground to Oakdale Colliery. The site has been cleared and supports an industrial estate and some waste land.

A set of steps on the Eastern side of the A467 lead up through the woodland (ST 214977) where the frame of a 2'6" gauge wagon lies in the undergrowth. The frame is split just behind the axlebox, either as a result of its fall down the hillside or the cause of its being dumped. Further up the hillside above the wagon is a large 2 chamber water tank with a dire warning about trespassers from the NCB! This was the site of wooden cooling towers for the colliery, hot water being pumped up, condensed and piped back down. A tramway ran Southwest down to the colliery, presumably the route of the wagon.

Pant Lane canal bridge - ST 2128 9677

Pant Lane canal bridge hides between Bridge Street and the A472. The bridge crossed the Southern end of Pant Lock, now lost under the bypass. This is probably the most Northerly relic of the Crumlin Arm of the Monmouthshire Canal.

Abercarn UDC Isolation Hospital - ST 2145 9755

Abercarn UDC Isolation Hospital opened sometime after 1901 and appears to have closed during WW2.

Pen-rhiw-bica level crossing - ST 2103 9644

The end of the trackbed from Crosskeys where the Newbridge by-pass now interrupts the route just a little further on.

Cwm Dows level crossing - ST 2032 9664

Between the by-pass and Pennar Tunnel

Twyngwyn Colliery tunnel - ST 2028 9703

On a branch off Halls Road Kendon branch, this tunnel took the tramway under the GWR Taff Vale Extension Railway and up to Twyngwyn Colliery

Cwm Pennar

I found a level, some pits or collapses and a possible ventilation shaft in the Cwm Pennar valley. They don't seem to appear on any maps but they could be connected with the workings of Pant-y-Rest Colliery at the head of the valley.





Crumlin

Around Crumlin and the viaduct

A small fragment of the GWR station footbridge, built into the side of the adjacent building, can be seen from the old roadbridge across the Ebbw Valley line. The Western parapets of Crumlin Viaduct can be found in the undergrowth at ST 211985. The Eastern parapet is a good viewing platform at ST 214986.

Aberbeeg South (also known as 'Budds') to the North of Navigation at ST 211992 was the house coal pit and opened in 1924. The site has been cleared, a brick wall next to Navigation and a large flat concrete area near the tips at ST 213993 remain. Both collieries closed in 1967.

An incline from Crumlin at ST 211986 climbed up the hillside and carried on as a tramway, now the Ebbw Valley Footpath at ST 209990. This can be followed, above the Crumlin and Aberbeeg collieries around the hillside, past minor levels, to connect to Trinant level where the tips are visible at ST 209996. The tips of another old level can be seen across the valley at ST 211999.

Navigation Colliery - ST 2115 9875

Navigation Colliery was built between 1907 and 1911. The Navigation Colliery complex is a grade 2 listed building, having been used for various businesses since closure, but is unused, fire damaged and decaying rapidly. All the buildings remain in 2014, including the engine houses and a chimney, but for how much longer? However, help may be at hand - read on....
The Oxford House Industrial History Society had a conducted tour around the Navigation Colliery site at Crumlin in May 2015 as work to conserve the site and turn it into something useful finally gets under way. Many thanks to Glofa Navigation Trust for entertaining us and doing the business.





Kendon

Kendon Colliery, first site - ST 2020 9877

The first Kendon Colliery is shown on maps from 1813 and is shown as 'disused' by 1899.

Kendon Colliery, second site - ST 2038 9883

Kendon Colliery had moved to this second site in the 1890s but it is listed as 'suspended' by 1923 but probably worked periodically after that until the late 1940s.

Millbrook Colliery - ST 2016 9880

The Millbrook Colliery Co worked on the site of the old Kendon Colliery with at least two levels to the north from c1900 to c1947.

Rosemont Colliery - ST 2058 9883

Rosemont Colliery worked a number of levels further down the valley, from before 1918 to c1938.

Rosemont level - ST 2048 9883

Rosemont level was a modern working of the previous Rosemont No 2 level in the 1960s.

Crumlin brickworks, Kendon

Crumlin brickworks at Kendon appears on OS maps between 1916 and 1938. The only brick I've seen is imprinted 'Davies Bros Crumlin', the owners of Kendon Colliery.





Mynyddislwyn Mountain

Graig Farm - ST 2003 9453 and Pendaren - ST 1892 9469

Graig Farm is a relatively new farm, believed to have been created about 1911 as Upper Sychpant Farm, becoming unoccupied by 1972.
There's some ironmongery in the stream at Pendaren, could be agricultural or remains of an old level.

Sychpant Farm - ST 2041 9435

Sychpant means dry valley or hollow, odd when there is a sizeable stream there. Could the stream have been dammed further up the valley in older days, or does it refer to the actual spot which is like a platform type hollow that the farm is built on? The farm was occupied from at least the early 1800s to 1953.

Pant-y-Resk Colliery and Farm - ST 2035 9565





Acknowledgments, sources and further reading.

'A historical tour around Mynyddislwyn Mountain' by Len Burland, Old Bakehouse Publications.
'The Cwmcarn Dam Disaster' by Tony Jukes, Danygraig Books.
'Halls Tramroad' by Foster Frowin - A comprehensive five-part article appeared in 'Archive' magazine, Issues nos 55, 56, 59, 60 and 66 with loads of original photos and the 1840s tithe maps. Fascinating reading!!
Thanks to :- Andrew Gadd, David Williams, Steve Davies, Rob Southall, Richard Terrell, Lin Bryant, Chris Bartley, www.drillhalls.org.


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins