cwmbwergwm
Industrial Wales
The Brickworks of Wales
In memory of Mike Stokes,
Monmouthshire, Glamorgan, South West Wales, Mid Wales amd North Wales
Search the site here

The Brickworks of Wales, In memory of Mike Stokes

Click on the button to go to :-

              

                   

The Round the World Brick Trip

I've tripped over dozens of bricks from the UK, India, New Zealand and elsewhere, have a look at them all here :-

    

There's also a good group on Facebook for brick and brickworks enthusiasts here :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Dedicated to the work of Mike Stokes

The Brickworks of South Wales was the work of the late Mike Stokes on his excellent website, . I am uncertain of the status of Mike's website which unfortunately may disappear when his subscription expires. With that in mind I am transcribing it here and will be adding my own bits, pieces and extras where they fit.


Cardiff and South Glamorgan

Cardiff City

Birchgrove - ST 1673 8049

The Phoenix Brick, Tile and Terra Cotta Co opened in 1895 was up and running by 1898. It became The Phoenix Brick Co by 1906 and disappears betwwen 1951 and 1963

Caerau - ST 1419 7562

Caerau Brickworks, Cardiff, first appears on the 1900 map up to 1947. Later buildings on the site don't seem to be brick-related.

Caerau - ST 1369 7525

The West End Brick Works Co was also known as the Highland Park Brick Works. It began some time after 1900, but from about 1914, was operated by William Thorne & Sons before the formation of Welsh Brick Industries in 1946 (WBI 1946 Ltd). It was marked 'disused' by 1955.

Canton - ST 1537 7647

Canton Brickworks

'Cory'

Cory Brothers & Co were well-known shipowners based in Cardiff but they had many other interests as well. However they don't appear to have owned a brickworks. they did own pentre Colliery which had an adjacent brickworks. They amalgamated with the Powell Duffryn Co in 1944 so they may have used one of their brickworks on a contract basis.

East Moors - ST 2003 7576

Adamsdown Brickworks, Lewis Road. An advert dated 4 May 1872 states :- "On Sale, at Adamsdown Brick Yard, Forty Thousand solid square bricks of good quality and large size. Apply at Mr Waring's Office, St. Mary Street". It's shown on the 1881map but marked 'old' by 1901.

East Moors - ST 2005 7609

Fire Brick Works, Lewis Road, in 1881, 'Eagle' paint works by 1901

Grangetown - ST 1776 7369

Lower Grangetown Brickworks, Ferry Road

Leckwith - ST 1687 7549

Leckwith Brickworks, Sloper Road

Llandaff North - ST 1445 7940

Llandaff Brick and Stone Co, one of Solomon Andrews less successful ventures, took over a brickworks here in 1888 supplying bricks to many of his own building projects. He tried to make a new kind of cement at the works but it was a failure and seems to have closed in 1896. The works were 'disused' by 1898.

Llandough - ST 1666 7362

Llandough Limeworks were owned in 1871 by D Thomas and Son and the brickworks had been opened next door by 1899. J E Billups of Billups Brick Co Ltd was the proprietor, becoming the Llandough Brick Co by 1923. The limeworks had gone and the brickworks is marked 'disused' by 1947.

Llanishen - ST 1823 8067

Originally the Bute brickworks, this works became part of the 'Duffryn and Llanishen Brick, Tile, Sanitary Pipe and Terra Cotta Co Ltd', who also owned Aberaman brickworks. The works is shown on the 1875 map but the company went bankrupt in 1892 and was offered as a going concern by the liquidator. It had disappeared on the 1901 map.

Maindy - ST 1748 7810

Cardiff Brick Co, Maindy

Newport Road - ST 2030 7790

Roath Brickworks in 1901 only

Newport Road - ST 2067 7800

Roath Pottery and Brickworks, 1901, disused in 1919

Newport Road - ST 2082 7809

Brick kiln in 1881 only, could be an earlier 'Heath' kiln or 'Billups Brick Co' before he went to Llandough?

Newport Road - ST 2091 7796

Brick kiln on South of railway in 1881 only

Newport Road - ST 2093 7822

Heath Brickworks, Thomas Waring in 1884, Waring's Brick Works Co in 1906, gone by 1919

Newport Road - ST 2093 7834

Bridge Brickworks 1881 - 1901, gone by 1919

Newport Road - misc owners in the area were :-

Billups Brick Co Ltd, Wm R Copp, Jenkins and Son, James Lewis

Penarth Road - ST 1785 7543

A brickworks is shown next to the Taff Bridge on Penarth Road in 1878 only

Pentrebane - ST 1324 7854

Waterhall brickworks is on the 1880 map and is 'disused' by 1900. However the buildings and 'old kiln' are still shown up to 1942.

Radyr - ST 1400 7950

Radyr Brick and Quarry Co began by supplying stone for the building of Penarth Dock in 1861. It was originally owned by William Smith, by Walter Raleigh Parker from 1889 and John Lewis in 1898, closing in 1908 on John Lewis' death. here's a full account of

Roath - ST 1935 7811

Brickworks in 1880 only, under the houses of Balaclava Road by 1901

'Vachell Cardiff'

This brick was found at Insole Court, Cardiff. Charles Vachell had made his money as an apothecary and later became Mayor of Cardiff. He developed Charles Street as a quality residential street in the mid-1800s along with other buildings. His family included solicitors, botanists and mining engineers but where they were involved in the brick industry remains a mystery at the moment..

South Glamorgan

Cadoxton, Barry - ST 1293 6803

An already 'old' brickworks existed in Cadoxton in 1878 and was buried under Barry Docks by 1900

Cadoxton, Barry - ST 1323 6961

Arkells Cadoxton Brick Works, open by 1900 and 'disused' by 1942. The works was established by Henry Arkell (1838 - 1902), originally from Gloucester, who had previously been a shoe merchant in Penarth and then kept the Windsor Hotel in Cardiff. After Henry's death, the works was owned by his wife, Caroline, and managed by his son, Herbert.

Cadoxton, Barry
Biglis Brick Co - ST 1446 6903
New Dock brickworks - ST 1446 6910
Globe brickworks - ST 1469 6912

The Biglis Brick Co was at Cadoxton, Barry by 1891 along with the New Dock brickworks and the Globe brickworks. All three are shown on the 1898 map with William Boucher listed as proprietor of Biglis in 1906. Only Biglis is on the 1915 map and then marked 'disused'. All had vanished from the OS maps by 1946. As Barry docks opened in 1889 it seems likely that they were supplying bricks for the contractors.

Cogan, Penarth - ST 1769 7214

Penarth Brickworks Co, Cogan

Cogan, Penarth - ST 1749 7240

Penarth Patent Press Brickworks, Cogan Pill brickworks

Dinas Powis - ST 1557 7098

Dinas Powis Brickworks

Pentyrch - ST 1192 8324

The brickworks was opened by T W Booker as part of the ironworks and colliery complex, then Owens &Watkins who became Evan Owens & Co and finally the Glamorgan Brick Co in 1915. It appears to have closed between the wars. The site is now a housing development. Most of theoutput is imprinted 'Pentyrch' or 'Glamorgan Brick Co' but some other bricks found at the brickworks site include a possible 'Booker & Co', a number of bricks with 'TWCo', was 'TW' for Taffs Well or TW from T W Booker? and some imprinted 'L N R' with a reversed 'N' as on other Pentyrch bricks.

Wenvoe - ST 1204 7459

Ely Brickworks, Wenvoe




Mid Glamorgan

Bridgend and Ogwr Valleys

Aberkenfig - SS 8802 8334

Bridgend Dinas Brick Co, Fountain, Aberkenfig is mentioned in 1880 trade directories and appears on the 1897 OS map but is shown as 'disused' by 1914. The photos of the site were taken in 1990 by Mike Stokes.

Aberkenfig - SS 8886 8358

The 1914 and 1941 maps show an 'old brickworks' with two kilns at this location. There is nothing on the 1897 map at all. In 1941 the clay pits were connected by an aerial ropeway to Tondu brickworks so possibly it was part of the Tondu company.

Beddau, Llantrisant - ST 0649 8522

This brickworks near the site of Ty'n-y-Nant Colliery only appears on the 1914 OS map. It's at the end of a tramway from the old 'Ida Colliery' which may have been a source of clay.

Bryncethin - SS 9168 8447

Bryncethin Brick Co Ltd first appears in Kellys directory in 1895 becoming Bryncethin Brick Works Ltd around 1920. It is believed to have closed in 1960. In 1930 a Sentinel steam lorry No 6773 of 1926 was sold to Charles Jenkins (Bryncethin Brick Works) Ltd. The brickworks converted it to a railway loco and it was presumed scrapped by 1938. A Lister 2ft gauge railtruck No 9969 of 1938 was purchased to work in the claypits.

Brynmenyn - SS 9066 8502

Brynmenyn Brickworks, Bridgend, appears on the 1877 map but there are no kilns shown so it may be under construction. The 1899 map shows it as fully operational but no sign of Brymenyn Colliery. By 1919 it seems to have gone and Brymenyn Colliery is shown as 'disused'.

Coedely - ST 0144 8593

Coedely Brickworks

Llanharan - SS 9913 8442

South Rhondda Brickworks, Llanharan

Maesteg - SS 8493 9147

Llynfi Ironworks

Maesteg, Llwydarth - SS 8604 9019

The brickworks at Llwydarth may well have been owned by William Davis of Bridgend, who opened the adjacent Maesteg Merthyr Colliery in 1868. The brickworks and claypit feature on the 1877 OS map but have gone by 1899 and the claypit tramway marked 'old'.

Pencoed - SS 9464 8170

Hendre Brickworks, Pencoed

Pencoed - SS 9578 8176

Pencoed Terra Cotta Brick & Tile Co Ltd, Pencoed and Powis Brick & Tile Co Ltd, Pencoed Brick & Tile Co Ltd

Porthcawl

George Bedford of Briton Ferry, 1851 - 1881, put 'Porthcawl' on his bricks but there is no evidence that there was ever a brickworks in Porthcawl at the time. Some 30 years later, in 1910, the Glamorgan Gazette reported an intended brickworks in Porthcawl but again there is no evidence that a brickworks was built.


Pyle, Cefn Cribbwr - SS 8536 8340

Cefn Cribbwr Brick Co

Pyle, Tranch - SS 8531 8166

Stormy Stone and Brick Co

Quarella - SS 9031 8074

Quarella Brickworks, Bridgend, owned by William McGaul

Tondu, Evanstown - SS 8925 8402

Tondu Brickworks is first mentioned in Kellys in 1891 as the Evanstown Brick Works, owned by Robert Evans, the owner of the kilns on the other side of Tondu Ironworks. It appears on the 1899 OS map becoming the Evanstown & Tondu Brick Works Co (l910) and the Tondu Brickworks Co Ltd by 1926, finally closing c1974.

Tondu - SS 8939 8451

John Ferguson's Brickworks adjacent to Tondu station was advertised for sale in various south Wales news publications from January to March 1878. This brickworks is on the 1877 and 1899 OS maps but the kilns had gone by 1919. The land was leased to Robert Evans who went on to build the Evanstown brickworks.

Tondu - SS 8997 8425

Ynysawdre Coke Coal and Brick Co Ltd, part of Ynysawdre (Adare) Colliery. No separate brick kilns are shown on any maps. The colliery is on 1877 OS map and expnaded on the 1899 map with coke ovens. Adare Colliery and the coke ovens were marked 'disused' by 1919.

Waterton, Bridgend - SS 8939 8451

Durus Cast Stone Co, Cowbridge Road, Waterton is shown as a brickworks on the 1941 map, but appears from the company name may have been making cast concrete products.




Cynon Valley

Aberaman - SO 0176 0034

Aberaman brickworks, opened after 1884 next to Aberaman Colliery, were owned by the Duffryn & Llanishen Brick, Tile, Sanitary Pipe & Terra Cotta Co Ltd in 1891, who also owned the works at Llanishen in cardiff. Later it became part of Powell Duffryn & Co and closed in the 1960s.

Aberdare, Blaengwawr - SO 0065 0205

Blaengwawr Brickworks, Aberdare

Aberdare, Gadlys - SO 0005 0317

Gadlys Brickworks, Aberdare

Aberdare, Llwydcoed - SN 9924 0444

Aberdare Brickworks was open by 1898 in the ruins of Aberdare iron Co, Llwydcoed, It was owned by the Duffryn & Llanishen Brick, Tile, Sanitary Pipe & Terra Cotta Co Ltd in 1891, Aberdare Brick Co in 1920 and Tanybryn Brickworks Co Ltd in 1931. The chimney was felled in 1982.

Cwmdare, Bwllfa Dare - SN 9735 0230

Bwllfa Dare Brickworks, Cwmdare, possibly opened with the colliery in 1856 and is on the 1868-78 map. It's still shown on the 1948 map but appears quite isolated.

Cwmdare, Nantmelyn - SN 9730 0285

Nantmelyn Brickworks, Cwmdare, first appears on the 1897 map and is still there in 1948.

Hirwaun - SN 9605 0605

Hirwaun Brickworks. From Richard Paterson and Mike Stokes :- The firm was founded in 1853 as Allen & Younger and became N B Allen in 1871. According to Nansi Selwood's excellent 'History of the Villages of Hirwaun and Rhigos', the firm made bricks from silica brought via a dedicated mineral line from two quarries, Yr Eithin and Y Foel, in Penderyn. The bricks were reputedly of high quality and won a prize at the 1880 Paris Exhibition, though a flourishing export trade ended with the outbreak of WW1 as the bricks were required for use on the home front. I remember 'the Quarry Line' being in use and I know that, eventually, Allens were taken over by General Refractories, later GR Stein, before closure in 1973.

Hirwaun, Rhydywaen - SN 9725 0455

Rhydywaen Brickworks, Hirwaun

Hirwaun, Tir Herbert - SN 9435 0605

Tir Herbert Brickworks, Hirwaun, opened after 1878 but is marked 'disused' in 1914.

Mountain Ash, Miskin - ST 0490 9815

'Coflein' record a brickworks on Windsor Street here. There are a number of quarries in the area but no sign of a brickworks as such.




Rhondda Valley

Blaenrhondda - SS 9248 0054

Part of Blaen-Rhondda Colliery by 1877, they were marked 'old' in 1899. Blaen-Rhondda Colliery had become part of the Fernhill Collieries by 1919 and the kilns had gone.

Hopkinstown - ST 0588 9077

Tymawr Brickworks, Hopkinstown

Llwynypia - SS 9956 9268

Part of the Glamorgan Colliery, Llwynypia which opened in 1863. Brick production had probably ceased by 1938 when the colliery was greatly reduced, closing finally in 1945.

Pentre - ST

Pentre Brickworks

Tonypandy - SS 9943 9362

A brickworks is shown on the site of Brith-Weunydd Colliery but it is only shown on the 1900 OS map.




The Taff Vale

Taffs Well - ST 1206 8462

Bryncoch Brickworks, Taffs Well worked from before 1873 to c1900. The 1914 map shows the works still standing but unmarked and all the tramways lifted.

Pontypridd, Sardis Road - ST 0695 8988

Sardis Road brickworks, Pontypridd, was open by 1873 and is shown on OS maps up to 1948.

Pontypridd, Pwllgwaun - ST 0638 9014

Victoria Sanitary Pipe Works at Pwllgwaun was open by 1898 and still shown as the 'Victoria Works' until 1948 but may have ceased brickmaking at the end of WW1 when the Victoria Colliery closed.

Merthyr Tydfil, Cyfarthfa - SO 0379 0707

Cyfarthfa Ironworks had a brickworks next to the Pont-y-Cafnau Bridge, shown on the 1875 1:500 town plan, with two kilns. They are still shown on the 1919 edition.

Merthyr Tydfil, Dowlais - SO 0697 0737

Dowlais Ironworks had a very large brickworks next to their iron and steelworks, shown on the 1875 1:500 town plan, with many kilns. They are all shown as 'disused' on the 1949 edition

Merthyr Tydfil, Heolgerrig - SO 0368 0653

A post WW2 brickworks of the Butterley Co probably re-processing slag heaps, appearing on the 1958 map and closed c1992.

Merthyr Tydfil, Sarn Helen, Merthyr Common - SO 0768 0605

'Old Brick kilns' are shown on the 1876 OS map only. They had gone by 1900.

Merthyr Tydfil, Pen-y-darran - SO 0600 0567

Pen-y-darran Ironworks had a brickworks, shown on the 1875 1:500 town plan, with two kilns. They had gone on the 1900 edition as had Pen-y-darran Ironworks itself.

Merthyr Tydfil, Thomastown - SO 0508 0597

A brickworks in Thomastown, owned by the Jenkins family, was in existance from 1877 to 1921 at least.

Merthyr Tydfil, Trebeddau - SO 0524 0675

A brickworks is shown on the 1876 OS map only. It had gone by 1900.




West Glamorgan

Port Talbot and the Afan Valley

Aberavon - SS 7900 8985

Aberavon Brickworks is shown as a 'sand siding' on the 1899 map and as a brickworks on the 1917 edition. It was way out on the beach then but had disappeared by 1939 and the site is now covered by housing and seemingly inland.

Argoed - SS 8192 9494

Argoed Brickworks, near Cynonville in the Afan Valley appears on the 1897 and 1918 maps but had disappeared by 1940. It was probably opened with Argoed Colliery by Llewellyn Howell and Co in the 1890s. In 1923 it became the property of Herbert Hudson and Co who closed the colliery in 1927 when perhaps the brickworks closed too.

Bryn, near Cwmavon - SS 8264 9175

Bryn and Cwmavon Brick Works Co. The earliest reference to this brickworks I can find is the 1906 Kelly's Directory and it appears in subsequent issues until the mid 1920s. A Grade II listed building, their website mentions that Bryn Brickworks was constructed after 1894 and continued production into the 1920s. They also state the kiln block stood at the SE end of the works adjacent to a siding of the Port Talbot Railway. The kiln is the only surviving structure on the site, although a large wall of undetermined purpose but probably for mounting equipment for the loading of railway wagons is adjacent to the kiln about 100 yards to the west. The kiln is substantially complete although it seems to be used as a shelter by the local sheep and does smell rather unpleasant. If this were mine I'd give it a good clean inside, remove all the decades of sheep-transferred mud and tidy up all the loose bricks lying around. It would make a great centre-piece for a museum of the once-large south Wales brick industry. A bit out-of-the-way though, it would never have any visitors! (Text by Mike Stokes)

Cwmavon - SS 7805 9221

Cwmavon Brick Works Co were established by 1877 next to the Cwmavon Tinplate Works. The brickworks is shown on the 1918 map but had gone by 1938.

Cwmavon - SS 7901 9253

Eagle Brick Works, Cwmavon. Not shown on the 1899 OS map, 'Eagle, Bryn and Cwmavon Brick Works Ltd' were operational by 1914, 'New Eagle and Bryn Brick Works Ltd' by 1926, finally 'Evans and Bevan' by 1961. The works is shown as 'disused' on the 1975 OS map.




Neath and the Nedd Valley

Briton Ferry

Briton Ferry - SS 7348 9398

There was a brick kiln in Briton Ferry ironworks in 1880 but the ironworks had shut by 1899.

Briton Ferry - SS 7411 9345

Briton Ferry Coal and Pottery Co Ltd was working from c1851 to 1888, owned by George Bedford to his death in 1884. A mystery surrounds his involvement with a brickworks in Porthcawl.
>

Neath

The Green, Neath - SS 7493 9749

Dinas Brickworks, The Green, Neath

The Green, Neath - SS 7487 9735

Brickworks, The Green, Neath

The Green, Neath - SS 7502 9768

Firebrick works, The Green, Neath

Melincrythan, Neath - SS 7466 9644

Melincrythan brickfield and claypits, Neath

Melincrythan, Neath, Neath - SS 7470 9693

Mill-lands Brick and Tile Works, Neath

Melincrythan, Neath - SS 7533 9598

Cambrian Brickworks, Melincrythan, Neath was established in 1882 by J Brooks Taylor and became 'J Brooks Taylor and Co Ltd' in 1912 but went into liquidation in May 1949. They also owned the Cwmdu brickworks in Skewen at one time.

The Nedd Valley

Glynneath - SN 8819 0629

'Abernant Dinas Silica Brick & Coal Co', founded in 1843, formerly the 'Anglo Russian Iron Co', was located on the north side of the River Neath and the GWR railway about half mile west of Pont Whalby Halt. Rail served by the Abernant Private Line (opened 1879) which connected with the GWR at Glyn Neath station. The works are shown as 'disused' from 1914 up to 1938 and were not on the 1948 map. A standard gauge 0-6-0ST, Fox Walker 360 of 1878 was new to the works. The company offered a locomotive for sale in the Western Mail during 1901 which may have passed to P Baker, a Cardiff dealer.

Dinas Rock Brickworks - SN 9102 0800

Dinas Rock Brickworks, Glynneath

Dinas Silica Brickworks - SN 8973 0692

Dinas Silica Brickworks, Glynneath

Pont Walby Brick and Tile Works - SN 8896 0675

Pont Walby Brick and Tile Works, Glynneath

Aberdulais - SS 7750 9962

Aberdulais Colliery and Brick Co appear to have 5 kilns on the site of Wen-y-Gored Colliery in 1899 but they are not shown in 1880. However the company was in existence in 1834 and closed in the late 1890s.

Onllwyn - SN 8444 1046

Onllwyn Brickworks, Neath

Penwyllt - SN 8547 1516

Penwyllt Dinas Silica Brickworks, Penwyllt

Resolven - SN 8208 0202

Melincourt Brick Works Co. Resolven, Neath in 1884 held by Capt Formby’s Company with H Bateman as manager became the Melin Court Brick & Terra Cotta Co Ltd in 1891 with John Taylor as manager. In 1891 Kellys reported that J B Taylor & Co made bricks at Melin y Cwrt with the clay levels last worked in c1890. Mike Stokes visited the site on 6th October 2014 and found that the site had not been developed. There were extensive earthworks although unable to distinguish any features and no named bricks were found on site.

Resolven - SN 8338 0291

Resolven Brickworks, Neath

Seven Sisters - SN 8151 0749

Nant-y-Cafn Brickworks, Neath

Skewen - SS 7193 9746

Cwmdu Brickworks, Skewen, Neath, opened prior to 1845 by John Grainger. It was leased by the Dynevor Coal Co for 60 years in 1873 and had passed to J Brooks Taylor Co of the Cambrian Brickworks, Melincrythan, Neath by 1925. It was latterly owned by Evans-Bevan Ltd and seems to have closed in the early 1960s.




Swansea

North-West Swansea

Cwmbach Brickworks, Cockett - SS 6281 9526

Cwmbach Brickworks, Cockett, Swansea

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks - SS 6446 9501

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks, Swansea

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks - SS 6502 9510

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks, Swansea

Gendros Brickworks

Gendros Brickworks, Swansea

Glasbrooks Werngradog Brickworks, Fforestfach

Glasbrooks Werngradog Brickworks, Fforestfach, Swansea

Gorse Brickworks, Cockett - SS 6324 9446

Gorse Brickworks, Cockett, Swansea

Swansea Brickworks - SS 6359 9491

Swansea Brickworks, on the other side of the railway tunnel

Tunnel Brickworks, Swansea - SS 6339 9490

Tunnel Brickworks, also known as Wig-fawr Brickworks

Weig Brickworks, Cockett - SS 6371 9458

Weig Brick and Tile Co or Wig-fach Brickworks, Cockett, Swansea operated c1895 to 1926. Visited by Mike Stokes on 28th February 1991 who investigated the site in Meadow Street (formerly Percy Street) which now has a corrugated iron garage built on it. The claypits further up the road are now used as a lock-up compound for a local plant hire firm.

West Swansea

Clyne Valley Brickworks, Killay - SS 6025 9220

Clyne Valley Brickworks, Killay, Swansea

Dunvant Brickworks, Swansea - SS 5955 9373

Dunvant Brickworks, Swansea

Killan Colliery and Brickworks, Dunvant - SS 5810 9385

Killan Colliery and Brickworks, Dunvant, Swansea

Penlan Brickworks, Dunvant - SS 5957 9423

Penlan Brickworks was owned by Samuel Jones and Sons as 'Jones. S & Sons (Dunvant) Ltd and 'Penlan Brickworks (Dunvant) Ltd. The 'S&S Dunvant' may be a mis-spelling of 'SJ&S' or may be deliberate but is likely to be from Penlan. The works was open from before 1895 to at least 1938.

Voylart Brickworks, Dunvant - SS 5920 9355

Voylart Brickworks, Dunvant, Swansea

North Swansea

Copper Pit Brickworks, Morriston - SS 6695 9700

This brick was more than likely made by Copper Pit Collieries Ltd. in Morriston, Swansea after 1908 when they re-opened the Copper Pit mine. The Copper Pit Brickworks, Neath Road, Morriston, Swansea is listed in Kelly's 1923 and 1926 editions. it seems to have become part of the Swansea Brick Works Co Ltd later.

Graig Brickworks, Morriston - SS 6670 9720

Graig Brickworks, Morriston, Swansea, part of the 'Star' empire

Morriston Silica Brick Co, Morriston - SS 6717 9840

Morriston Silica Brick Co, Swansea

Roundpit Brickworks, Llansamlet - SS 6901 9754

Roundpit Brickworks, Llansamlet is on the the site of Roundpit Colliery and may originally have been part of it. The colliery had ceased coal production by 1897 when the brickworks took over until some time after 1913.

Swansea Brickworks, Morriston - SS 6735 9740

Swansea Brickworks, Morriston, operated in Swansea between 1921 and 1957 when it was demolished. The area is now the Morriston South Industrial Estate.

Swansea Siemens Brick Co, Landore - SS 6697 9651

Swansea Siemens Brick Co, Landore, produced the silica bricks needed for the various Siemens steelworks in the area. The works is shown on OS maps from 1876 to 1948.

Treboeth Brick and Tile Co, Swansea - SS 6550 9620

Treboeth Brick and Tile Co, Swansea




West Glamorgan

Clydach - SS 6880 0098

Clydach Brickworks, Swansea

Glais - SN 7110 0154

Llwyndu Brick and Clay Co, Glais, Swansea in 1891 and later the Llwyndu Fire Brick Co Ltd. This brickworks is still shown on the 1962 OS map but has gone by the 1968 edition. I've read on the Welsh Coal Mines site that there was a Llwyn Du Graigola Colliery and Brick company Ltd in 1887 and the works may have closed in the 1940s.

Gwaun-cae-gurwen, Cwmgorse - SN 7065 1110

Cwmgorse Brickworks, Gwaun-cae-gurwen

Pontardawe - SN 7473 0584

Ynysmeundy Brickworks

Pontardulais - SN 5981 0308

Bolgoed Brickworks, 'The Star Brick and Tile Co Ltd' registered the freehold in Aug 1966.

Ystalyfera - SN 7670 0863

Brickworks, Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera - SN 7720 0931

Tirbach Brickworks Co, Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera - SN 7724 0926

Gurnos Brickworks, Ystalyfera

Ystalyfera - SN 7809 0867

Farteg Brickworks, Ystalyfera

Ystradgynlais - SN 8046 1126

Penrhos Brickworks, Ystradgynlais





Carmarthenshire

Llanelly

Unidentified brickmakers

Bigin - SN 5104 0002

Bigin Brickworks

Copper Works - SS 5080 9915

Copper Works Brickworks

Dafen - SN 5286 0131

Dafen Brickworks

Dafen - SN 5286 0131

Dafen Brickworks

Furnace - SN50480127

'Coflein' record a brickyard here in 1809

Horeb - SN 5009 0529

Eclipse Brick Co Ltd and The Horeb Brick Co Ltd, Llanelly

Machynys - SS 5118 9835 and SS 5104 9821

Machynys Brick & Tile Co Ltd, Llanelly

Morfa - SS 5182 9876

Morfa Brickworks, Llanelly

Pwll - SN 4770 0090

Pwll Coal & Brick Co Ltd, Llanelly, also possibly known as the 'Star Brickworks'

Sandy - SN 4998 0067 (1880), SN 4985 0052 (1907)

Sandy Brickworks (or Stradey Brickworks), Llanelly

The rest of Carmarthenshire

Ammanford - SN 6377 1244

Ammanford Colliery and Brickworks, The colliery is on the 1905 map with the brickworks next to it in 1915 and still there in 1962. It was part of British Anthracite Co in the late 1940s / early 1950s.

Ammanford, Pantyffynnon - SN 6200 1150

Pont-y-clerc Brickworks, Pantyffynnon was open by 1876 and owned by Lloyd Bros. It's shown on the 1938 map but marked 'disused' by 1948.

Brynamman - SN 7150 1394

Amman Brick Co Ltd, Brynamman, occupied the site of the Amman Ironworks some time after 1905 when the ironworks closed. It had disappeared by 1948.

Burry Port - SN 4600 0115

New Lodge Colliery and Firebrick Co

Burry Port - SN 4493 0162

Achddu Brickworks was open from the late 1920s to 1948 on the site of Achddu Colliery which had closed in 1917.

Bynea - SS 5524 9903

Bynea Silica Brick Co, Bynea

Bynea - SS 5483 9915

Glynea and Co Brickworks, Bynea

Carmarthen - SN 4060 1960

Brickworks under the A40 Carmarthen By-pass roundabout

Carmarthen - SN 4303 2165

Dol-Gwili Brick and Tile Works, Carmarthen Brick Co. also under a different A40 roundabout

Cynghordy - SN 7985 4105

Cynghordy Brickworks

Kidwelly - SN 401066

Kidwelly Brickworks, first site

Kidwelly - SN 402064

Kidwelly Brickworks, second site

Kidwelly - SN 410062

Dinas Brickworks

Kidwelly, Mynydd-y-Garreg - SN 436094

Alexander Young's Brickworks

Llandeilo

Llandeilo Brick and Tile Co are listed by 'Coflein' here with a general reference but I can't find any exact location, could they be merchants?

Llangennech - SN 5555 0120

Llangennech Brick and Tile Co

Llangennech, Talyclyn - SN 5747 0348

The brickworks and colliery at Talyclyn were opened c1850 becoming the 'Talyclyn Colliery and Brickworks Co' from 1885 to 1900. It was then owned by Thomas Williams and Sons, Llangennech (TW&S) and closed by the NCB in 1952. The site is now buried beneath the M4 motorway.

Llanybyther - SN 5038 4226

I'm assuming that Llanybyther Brickworks is the brickworks shown on the map at Highmead. I'm told that a large walled garden was built there in the 1860s for which the brickworks may have been built. The brickworks only appears on the 1887 map and is already marked as 'disused'.

Penygroes - SN 5841 1351

Emlyn Brickworks, Penygroes

Pontyates - SN 4779 0863

Ynys-Hafren Brickworks

St Clears

Up to four brickworks existed at St Clears - Upper, Lower and Victoria Brickworks and possibly one other.

Trimsaran - SN 4657 0527

Trimsaran Upper Colliery Brickworks




Pembrokeshire

Angle - SM 8541 0311

The Angle Brick Works was established in the 1880′s by the Angle Estate. At that time there were 3 kilns. The products included bricks of several varieties, roof and quarry tiles, ridge tiles, and drain pipes. Later, blocks of simulated stone were produced.

Goodwick, Fishguard - SM 9406 3764

Goodwick Brickworks Co Ltd, Open by 1907 as Fishguard Harbour Brickworks Co Ltd until 1910 when it became Goodwick Brickworks Co Ltd. In 1946 it was part of the British Anthracite Co Ltd and closed c1969. The quarry used RH 193973, purchased new in 1938 and scrapped in 1970

Hean Castle, Saundersfoot - SN 1433 0598

The brickworks adjacent to the iron foundry at Hean Castle was founded in 1845 by Thomas Stokes and closed in c1887. It traded as Tenby Silica Co in c1860, Hean Castle Brick Co in c1864 and Woolston Firebrick Works c1867. Bricks were originally imprinted 'Stokes Saundersfoot Pembs' and from c1864 'Hean Castle Tenby pattern'.

Johnston, Haverfordwest - SM 9332 1113

Johnston Brick and Tile Co, owned by G E Carrow & Co, mentioned in Kellys Directory from 1895 to 1920

Landshipping - SN 0041 1001

A brick kiln is shown on the 1865 OS Map and a brickyard close by in 1907.

Pen-y-cwm, near Newgale - SM 8439 2290

A brickworks and tramway are shown as 'disused' on the 1907 OS Map in Cwm Mawr

Porthgain - SM 8145 3253

Porthgain Quarries Ltd

Slebech - SN 0356 1446

'Coflein' identify the area around 'Brickfield Bottom' as a likely site for a brickworks.

Templeton - SN 1129 1094

Templeton Brickworks opened circa 1868 and was known as Templeton Silica Works. The bricks produced were a specialised fire brick invented by the Quaker Entrepreneur William Weston Young. The rock used to make the bricks was sourced from 3 local Templeton quarries, Cleggars, North Hill and Whitehouse. They ceased making bricks in the 1920’s.





Mid Wales

Breconshire

Llangammarch Wells - SN 9543 4969

Garth Brickworks, Garth

Brecon, Pen-y-crug - SO 0330 3010

'Coflein' record a brick and tile works adjoining Pen-y-crug hillfort. Quarries, kiln sites, platforms, clay pits, trackways etc. Shown as disused on 1st edn OS 1889.

Builth Wells - SO 0293 5202

A brick kiln and clay pit at Park Farm on the 1889and 1904 OS maps is shown as 'Disused' on both editions.


Cardiganshire

Cardigan Brickworks - SN 1780 4638

The Cardigan Brick and Tile Co opened this brickworks in 1860. By 1875 a new chiney stack and kiln had been built. By 1919 it had become the Cardigan Brickworks Co but it hit hard times and closed finally in 1925, the stack was demolished in 1927, the rest of the site being cleared soon afterwards. The historical photos are from the Donald Davies Collection, all taken 1869-76 by J T Mathias, courtesy of Glen Johnson.
There was also a brickyard at SN 1880 4595 from c1835 to c1860 where a 'Brickyard Cottage' still exists.

Aberystwyth

An advert in the 'Cambrian News' for 17th June 1910 offered a brickworks in Abersytwyth as a going concern. I haven't been able to locate the site.

Llanon - SN 5213 6480

A brick kiln and clay pit is shown here on the 1905 OS map.

Radnorshire

Llandrindod Wells - SO 0578 6214

Llandrindod brickworks is shown on the 1889 map but is 'disused' in 1904. No bricks have turned up yet but I know Mike Kilner is searching high and low.

Newbridge on Wye - SO 0120 6014

A 'Brickyard Cottage' is shown here in 1887 and modern maps describe the area as 'brickfield'.


Montgomeryshire

Newtown

A selection of bricks from Newtown


Merionethshire

Fairbourne - SH 6179 1317

Next to Fairbourne Station, this brickworks isn't on the 1887 map. It first appears on the 1900 map but has gone by 1949. It was built c1895/6, by Sir Arthur McDougall (more used to self-raising flour than cement) to build his grand scheme of 'South Barmouth'. It was connected to the station by the forerunner of the Fairbourne Railway.

Towyn - SH 5960 0027

Seemingly taking over an old tannery this brickworks appears on the 1900 map but isn't labelled as a brickworks in 1938.





North Wales

North Wales is extremely well covered by 'Penmorfa Old bricks' far better than anything I can do. So here are links to the main pages and my own few and far-between findings from the brickworks of North Wales.

                   

Caernarvonshire

Porth Neigwr, Abersoch - SH 2584 2821

A very remote brickworks operating around bewtween 1890 and 1900 when it was marked 'disused'., desperately looking for a partner in 1897.

North Wales

Other bricks I've found




Acknowledgments, sources and further reading.

This page is particularly the work of the late Mike Stokes, who had a huge knowledge of South Wales brickworks and their products. A great many other people have supplied information and photos to add to the story, so many thanks to (alphabetically) Graham Bennett, Mike Bennett, Ian Cooke, Gary Davies, Steve Davies, Martin Fretwell, Andrew Harvard, Tracey Hucker, Glen Johnson, Mike Kilner, Frank Lawson, Norman Lowe, Frank Moore, Stephen Parry, Richard Paterson, Ian Pickford, Dave Sallery, Lawrence Skuse, Templeton Heritage Group, Gareth Thomas, David Wood.

The Penmorfa website is the best source of info on bricks and brickworks in the UK :-

For very good coverage of Scottish bricks and quite a bit about other places too :-

Martyn Feltwell has two very good sites here :- and

There is a specialist society for brick history :-

There's also a 'Facebook' group for bricks and brickworks :-


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins