cwmbwergwm
The Brickworks of Wales
West Glamorgan and West Wales
In memory of Mike Stokes
Search the site here


Click on the button to go to :-

The Round the World Brick Trip

I've tripped over dozens of bricks from the UK, India, New Zealand and elsewhere, have a look at them all
along with a good group on Facebook for brick and brickworks enthusiasts here :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.


Port Talbot and the Afan Valley

Quick links to :-     Port Talbot and the Afan Valley     Neath and the Nedd Valley
    Swansea     West Glamorgan

Aberavon - SS 7900 8985

Aberavon Brickworks is shown as a 'sand siding' on the 1899 map and as a brickworks on the 1917 edition. It was way out on the beach then but had disappeared by 1939 and the site is now covered by housing and seemingly inland.

Argoed - SS 8192 9494

Argoed Brickworks, near Cynonville in the Afan Valley appears on the 1897 and 1918 maps but had disappeared by 1940. It was probably opened with Argoed Colliery by Llewellyn Howell and Co in the 1890s. In 1923 it became the property of Herbert Hudson and Co who closed the colliery in 1927 when perhaps the brickworks closed too.

Bryn, near Cwmavon - SS 8264 9175

Bryn and Cwmavon Brick Works Co. The earliest reference to this brickworks I can find is the 1906 Kelly's Directory and it appears in subsequent issues until the mid 1920s. A Grade II listed building, their website mentions that Bryn Brickworks was constructed after 1894 and continued production into the 1920s. They also state the kiln block stood at the SE end of the works adjacent to a siding of the Port Talbot Railway. The kiln is the only surviving structure on the site, although a large wall of undetermined purpose but probably for mounting equipment for the loading of railway wagons is adjacent to the kiln about 100 yards to the west. The kiln is substantially complete although it seems to be used as a shelter by the local sheep and does smell rather unpleasant. If this were mine I'd give it a good clean inside, remove all the decades of sheep-transferred mud and tidy up all the loose bricks lying around. It would make a great centre-piece for a museum of the once-large south Wales brick industry. A bit out-of-the-way though, it would never have any visitors! (Text by Mike Stokes)

Cwmavon - SS 7805 9221

This brickworks was established by 1877 next to the Cwmavon Tinplate Works. It seems to be the 'Cwmavon Brick Works Co' by 1891 with SH Byass as Managing Partner. The brickworks is still shown on the 1918 map but had gone by 1938. Bricks with the 'Cwmavon' mark are believed to come from here as the nearby Eagle works promoted it's own identity.

Cwmavon - SS 7901 9253

The Eagle Brick Works, Cwmavon, was built in 1907 and first appears on the 1913 OS map. It was run by the 'Eagle, Bryn and Cwmavon Brick Works Ltd', becoming the 'New Eagle and Bryn Brick Works Ltd' by 1926, finally 'Evans and Bevan' by 1961. The works is shown as 'disused' on the 1975 OS map.

Neath and the Nedd Valley

Quick links to :-     Port Talbot and the Afan Valley     Neath and the Nedd Valley
    Swansea     West Glamorgan

Briton Ferry

Briton Ferry - SS 7348 9398

There was a brick kiln in Briton Ferry ironworks in 1880 but the ironworks had shut by 1899.

Briton Ferry - SS 7411 9345

Briton Ferry Coal and Pottery Co Ltd was working from c1851 to 1888, owned by George Bedford to his death in 1884. A mystery surrounds his involvement with a brickworks in Porthcawl. Read the full details here
>

Neath

The Green, Neath - SS 7493 9749

Dinas Brickworks, The Green, Neath

The Green, Neath - SS 7487 9735

Brickworks, The Green, Neath

The Green, Neath - SS 7502 9768

Firebrick works, The Green, Neath

Melincrythan, Neath - SS 7466 9644

Melincrythan brickfield and claypits, Neath

Melincrythan, Neath, Neath - SS 7470 9693

Mill-lands Brick and Tile Works, Neath

Melincrythan, Neath - SS 7533 9598

Cambrian Brickworks, Melincrythan, Neath was established in 1882 by J Brooks Taylor and became 'J Brooks Taylor and Co Ltd' in 1912 but went into liquidation in May 1949. They also owned the Cwmdu brickworks in Skewen at one time.

The Nedd Valley

Glynneath - SN 8819 0629

'Abernant Dinas Silica Brick & Coal Co', founded in 1843, formerly the 'Anglo Russian Iron Co', was located on the north side of the River Neath and the GWR railway about half mile west of Pont Whalby Halt. Rail served by the Abernant Private Line (opened 1879) which connected with the GWR at Glyn Neath station. The works are shown as 'disused' from 1914 up to 1938 and were not on the 1948 map. A standard gauge 0-6-0ST, Fox Walker 360 of 1878 was new to the works. The company offered a locomotive for sale in the Western Mail during 1901 which may have passed to P Baker, a Cardiff dealer.

Dinas Rock Brickworks - SN 9102 0800

Dinas Rock Brickworks, Glynneath

Dinas Silica Brickworks - SN 8973 0692

Dinas Silica Brickworks, Glynneath

Pont Walby Brick and Tile Works - SN 8896 0675

Pont Walby Brick and Tile Works, Glynneath

Aberdulais - SS 7750 9962

Aberdulais Colliery and Brick Co appear to have 5 kilns on the site of Wen-y-Gored Colliery in 1899 but they are not shown in 1880. However the company was in existence in 1834 and closed in the late 1890s.

Onllwyn - SN 8444 1046

Onllwyn Brickworks, Neath

Penwyllt - SN 8547 1516

The Dinas Silica Brickworks at Penwyllt was opened in 1865 by Kershaw & Pole Ltd and ceased production in1939. It was owned by the Penwyllt Dinas Silica Brick Co Ltd from 1895 to 1928and then the Penwyllt Silica Brick Co Ltd, a subsidiary of Stephens Silica Brick Co Ltd of Kidwelly, until 1940.

Resolven - SN 8208 0202

Melincourt Brick Works Co. Resolven, Neath in 1884 held by Capt Formby’s Company with H Bateman as manager became the Melin Court Brick & Terra Cotta Co Ltd in 1891 with John Taylor as manager. In 1891 Kellys reported that J B Taylor & Co made bricks at Melin y Cwrt with the clay levels last worked in c1890. Mike Stokes visited the site on 6th October 2014 and found that the site had not been developed. There were extensive earthworks although unable to distinguish any features and no named bricks were found on site.

Resolven - SN 8338 0291

Resolven Brickworks, Neath

Seven Sisters - SN 8151 0749

Nant-y-Cafn Brickworks, Neath

Skewen - SS 7193 9746

Cwmdu Brickworks, Skewen, Neath, opened prior to 1845 by John Grainger. It was leased by the Dynevor Coal Co for 60 years in 1873 and had passed to J Brooks Taylor Co of the Cambrian Brickworks, Melincrythan, Neath by 1925. It was latterly owned by Evans-Bevan Ltd and seems to have closed in the early 1960s.

Swansea

Quick links to :-     Port Talbot and the Afan Valley     Neath and the Nedd Valley
    Swansea     West Glamorgan

North Swansea

Copper Pit Brickworks, Morriston - SS 6695 9700

This brick was more than likely made by Copper Pit Collieries Ltd. in Morriston, Swansea after 1908 when they re-opened the Copper Pit mine. The Copper Pit Brickworks, Neath Road, Morriston, Swansea is listed in Kelly's 1923 and 1926 editions. it seems to have become part of the Swansea Brick Works Co Ltd later.

Graig Brickworks, Morriston - SS 6670 9720

Graig Brickworks, Morriston, Swansea, later it was part of the 'Star' empire.

Morriston Silica Brick Co, Morriston - SS 6717 9840

Morriston Silica Brick Co, Swansea

Roundpit Brickworks, Llansamlet - SS 6901 9754

Roundpit Brickworks, Llansamlet is on the the site of Roundpit Colliery and may originally have been part of it. The colliery had ceased coal production by 1897 when the brickworks took over until some time after 1913.

Swansea Brickworks, Morriston - SS 6735 9740

Swansea Brickworks, Morriston, operated in Swansea between 1921 and 1957 when it was demolished. The area is now the Morriston South Industrial Estate.

Swansea Siemens Brick Co, Landore - SS 6697 9651

Swansea Siemens Brick Co, Landore, produced the silica bricks needed for the various Siemens steelworks in the area. The works is shown on OS maps from 1876 to 1948.

Treboeth Brick and Tile Co, Swansea - SS 6550 9620

Treboeth Brick and Tile Co, Swansea

North-West Swansea

Cwmbach Brickworks, Cockett - SS 6281 9526

Cwmbach Brickworks, Cockett, Swansea

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks - SS 6446 9501

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks, Swansea

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks - SS 6502 9510

Cwm-du or Cae-bricks brickworks, Swansea

Gendros Brickworks

Gendros Brickworks, Swansea

Glasbrooks Werngradog Brickworks, Fforestfach

Glasbrooks Werngradog Brickworks, Fforestfach, Swansea

Gorse Brickworks, Cockett - SS 6324 9446

Gorse Brickworks, Cockett, Swansea

Swansea Brickworks - SS 6359 9491

Swansea Brickworks, on the other side of the railway tunnel

Tunnel Brickworks, Swansea - SS 6339 9490

Tunnel Brickworks, also known as Wig-fawr Brickworks

Weig Brickworks, Cockett - SS 6371 9458

Weig Brick and Tile Co or Wig-fach Brickworks, Cockett, Swansea operated c1895 to 1926. Visited by Mike Stokes on 28th February 1991 who investigated the site in Meadow Street (formerly Percy Street) which now has a corrugated iron garage built on it. The claypits further up the road are now used as a lock-up compound for a local plant hire firm.

West Swansea

Clyne Valley Brickworks, Killay - SS 6025 9220

The works was owned by Frederick Pinn (1880s), James Howell & Co (1890s) and John Napier (1920s) becoming the Clyne Valley Brick & Tile Co Ltd and finally Evans and Bevan Ltd in the 1950s and 60s. A narrow gauge tramway ran from the works south-west under the BR line to clay pits. Works closed c.1965 and site cleared c.1968. In 1950 a new 4wDM RH 296102/50 was used on the tramway until closure.

Dunvant Brickworks, Swansea - SS 5955 9373

Dunvant Colliery was owned by Phillip Richard from at least 1886 until at least 1905; it had passed to the New Dunvant Colliery Co Ltd by 1913. The colliery was sited on the east of the LNWR line with rail connections just north of Dunvant station. Phillip Richard was the eldest son of Phillip Richard of the Birch Rock Colliery, Pontardulais. The brickworks is only shown on the 1896 map.

Killan Brickworks, Dunvant - SS 5901 9409
Killan Old Brickworks, Dunvant - SS 5924 9384

A Killan Colliery existed in 1878 at SS 5810 9385 but it had closed by 1896 with two new Killan Collieries appearing to the North c1899 connected to Dunvant by a branch line. By 1923 the colliery was owned by Killan Collieries Ltd. Production ceased in 4/1925 following liquidation. Salvage was completed by 8/1925 and the site then abandoned though the 'old' brickworks was still shown on the 1948 map. There were two locos on the Colliery lines, Std Gauge “Curlew” 0-4-0ST MW 1247/1891 sold or scrapped. and 2ft gauge 0-4-0WT OK 6759/1914, new to works and sold to Richard Thomas & Co, South Wales Steel Works, Llanelli.

Penlan Brickworks, Dunvant - SS 5957 9423

Penlan Brickworks was owned by Samuel Jones and Sons as 'Jones. S & Sons (Dunvant) Ltd and 'Penlan Brickworks (Dunvant) Ltd. The 'S&S Dunvant' may be a mis-spelling of 'SJ&S' or may be deliberate but is likely to be from Penlan. A 4wPM, L 35154/50, was new to the works but there is no record of its disposal. The works was open from c1895 to at least 1948 and Penlan Brick Works (Dunvant) Ltd is still listed in 1952

Voylart Brickworks, Dunvant - SS 5920 9355

Two brick kilns are shown in a brick field to the West of Voilart Colliery on teh 1877 map but the colliery had gone by 1900 with the brickworks marked as 'disused'. It seems to have survived until 1948, still shown as an 'old brickworks'.

West Glamorgan beyond Swansea

Quick links to :-     Port Talbot and the Afan Valley     Neath and the Nedd Valley
    Swansea     West Glamorgan

Berth-lwyd, Penclawdd - SS 5610 9632

Berth-lwyd Brickworks was in operation by 1877 and was 'disused' by 1896. By 1913 the site was occupied by the loading dock for Berth-lwyd Colliery.

Clydach - SS 6880 0098

Clydach Brickworks

Glais - SN 7110 0154

Llwyndu Brick and Clay Co, Glais in 1891 and later the Llwyndu Fire Brick Co Ltd. This brickworks is still shown on the 1962 OS map but has gone by the 1968 edition. I've read on the Welsh Coal Mines site that there was a Llwyn Du Graigola Colliery and Brick company Ltd in 1887 and the works may have closed in the 1940s.

Gwaun-cae-gurwen, Cwmgorse - SN 7065 1110

Cwmgorse Brickworks, Gwaun-cae-gurwen opened c1906 as the Cwmgorse Brick Co Ltd becoming the Cwmgorse Brick Works Co Ltd by 1931. Later, in the 1950s, it became part of the British Anthracite Sales Ltd and British Anthracite Co Ltd group.

Pontardawe - SN 7473 0584

Ynysmeundy Brickworks

Pontardulais - SN 5981 0308

Bolgoed Brickworks, 'The Star Brick and Tile Co Ltd' registered the freehold in Aug 1966.

Ystalyfera, Gurnos and Ystradgynlais

Ystalyfera Ironworks brickworks, Ystalyfera - SN 7670 0863

Ystalyfera Ironworks brickworks, Ystalyfera. This brickworks appears to be an integral part of the Ystalyfera Ironworks site by 1877. By 1885 the furnaces had been blown out and the works produced tinplate. The 1898 map shows the brickworks as 'disused' and as an 'old Brickwks' in 1914. By 1948 the site has become a bowling green.

Tirbach brickworks, Ystalyfera - SN 7720 0931

The Tirbach Brick Co Ltd next to Tirbach Colliery was formed in the 1890s appearing on the 1896 map. By 1914 the company was in liquidation and failed to sell at auction. It disappears some time after 1921 as its not shown in 1948.

Gurnos Brickworks, Ystalyfera - SN 7724 0926

The Gurnos brickworks appears to pre-date the adjacent tinplate works, perhaps they used the bricks to build the tinpalte works? It's first shown on the 1877 map without the tinplate works which arrives for the 1898 map. By 1964 both tinplate and brickworks are marked 'disused'.

Farteg Brickworks, Ystalyfera - SN 7809 0867

Farteg Brickworks is shown from 1913 to 1953 on OS maps but has gone by 1964.

Yniscu Colliery and Fireclay Works, Ystalyfera - SN 7753 0838

Yniscu Colliery and Fireclay Works, Ystalyfera. This is the site of a small colliery named Ynys-y-Geinion Colliery in 1877, Daren Colliery in 1896, Yniscu Colliery and Fireclay Works in 1914 and Yniscu Colliery in 1948. Its life as a brickworks seems very short.

Penrhos Brickworks, Ystradgynlais - SN 8046 1126

The Penrhos Brickworks Co Ltd is reported in trade directories from 1906 onwards. It is shown on the 1953 OS map but marked 'disused' by 1964. A site visit in 1995 found nothing left at all and the owner believed it was demolished c1963. The company was wound up in 1968.

Cae'r-lan Brickworks, Ystradgynlais - SN 8048 1217

Cae'r-lan Brickworks, near Ystradgynlais is open before 1877 but is marked 'disused' by 1903 and is an 'Old brickworks' on the 1913 and 1948 maps. the site is now under the A4067 village by-pass.

Bryn-henllys brickworks, Ystradowen - SN 7556 1252

Bryn-henllys brickworks in Henllys Vale, Cwm Twrch was owned by the Tirbach Brick Co and opened at the end of the 19th century. It is on the 1903 OS map but marked as 'old brickworks' in 1913. 30 years later and it appears to be still standing in 1948, obviously too remote to worry anyone. Please note that this is not connected with the Henllys Brickworks, Cwmbran, Mon. All the 'Henllys' bricks I've seen illustrating Henllys Vale are from Monmouthshire !


West Wales

Quick link to :-     Llanelly     Carmarthenshire     Pembrokeshire

Llanelly

Unidentified brickmakers

Bigin - SN 5104 0002

Bigin Brickworks

Copper Works - SS 5080 9915

Copper Works Brickworks

Dafen - SN 5286 0131

The Dafen Brick Works Co (later the Dafen Brick Co Ltd) opened between 1905 and 1913 on the site of Bryngwyn Colliery. It was working into the 1960s.

Furnace - SN 5048 0127

'Coflein' record a brickyard here in 1809

Horeb, Eclipse Brickworks - SN 5009 0529

Blackthorn Brick Works Co was founded in 1907 becoming the Eclipse Brick Co Ltd by 1914 and The Horeb Brick Co Ltd by 1926. It was said to have closed in 1967. Mike Stokes visited the derelict site on 3rd April 1995 and found that the stack was still standing and most of a Hoffman kiln. Access was only possible down the abandoned railway line. Many bricks were scattered around with 'OB' on them? also some white/yellow with 'ATLAS' stamped on them. Unfortunately I can't find any photos of them.

Machynys - SS 5118 9835 and SS 5104 9821

Machynys Brick & Tile Co Ltd, Llanelly

Morfa - SS 5182 9876

Morfa Brickworks, Llanelly

Pwll - SN 4770 0090

Pwll Coal & Brick Co Ltd, Llanelly, also possibly known as the 'Star Brickworks'

Sandy - SN 4998 0067 (1880), SN 4985 0052 (1907)

Sandy Brickworks (or Stradey Brickworks), Llanelly

The rest of Carmarthenshire

Quick link to :-     Llanelly     Carmarthenshire     Pembrokeshire

Ammanford - SN 6377 1244

Ammanford Colliery and Brickworks, The colliery is on the 1905 map with the brickworks next to it in 1915 and still there in 1962. It was part of British Anthracite Co in the late 1940s / early 1950s.

Ammanford, Pont-y-clerc Brickworks - SN 6200 1150

Pont-y-clerc Brickworks, Pantyffynnon was opened around 1835 and owned by John Lloyd c1860 but he was bankrupt by 1871. It became the Pontyclerc Fire Brick Works & Anthracite Coal Co but they failed too and the works was auctoned in 1885. John and Joshua Lloyd took over in 1886, a different John Lloyd I assume, under a number of diffent company names. Finally the colliery became part of Amalgamated Anthracite Ltd and closed in 1934. The brickworks is shown on the 1938 map but marked 'disused' by 1948.

Blaenau, near Pen-y-groes - SN 6015 1310

A 'Brick Field' and what appears to be a block of kilns is shown on the 1878 map. it was adjacent to Blaenau-Saron Colliery but both colliery and kilns had gone by 1905. The whole area has been subject to open-cast mining and landscaped.

Brynamman, Amman Brick Works - SN 7150 1394

Amman Brick Co Ltd, Brynamman, occupied the site of the Amman Ironworks some time after 1905 when the ironworks closed. It had disappeared by 1948.

Burry Port - SN 4600 0115

New Lodge Colliery and Firebrick Co

Burry Port - SN 4493 0162

Achddu Brickworks was open from the late 1920s to 1948 on the site of Achddu Colliery which had closed in 1917.

Bynea - SS 5524 9903

Bynea Silica Brick Co, Bynea

Bynea - SS 5483 9915

Glynea and Co Brickworks, Bynea

Carmarthen - SN 4060 1960

Brickworks under the A40 Carmarthen By-pass roundabout

Carmarthen - SN 4303 2165

Dol-Gwili Brick and Tile Works, Carmarthen Brick Co. also under a different A40 roundabout

Cynghordy - SN 7985 4105

The Cynghordy brickworks was developed by British Anthracite Co Ltd from the late 1950s/early 1960s. British Fuel Co (South Wales) Ltd had acquired the business by 1975 but it is not known if it was still operating at that time. The site was cleared by 1978.

Kidwelly - SN 401066

Kidwelly Brickworks, first site

Kidwelly - SN 402064

Kidwelly Brickworks, second site

Kidwelly - SN 410062

Dinas Brickworks

Kidwelly, Mynydd-y-Garreg - SN 436094

Alexander Young's Brickworks

Llandeilo

Llandeilo Brick and Tile Co are listed by 'Coflein' here with a general reference but I can't find any exact location, could they be merchants?

Llangennech - SN 5555 0120

Llangennech Brick and Tile Co

Llangennech, Talyclyn - SN 5747 0348

The brickworks and colliery at Talyclyn were opened c1850 becoming the 'Talyclyn Colliery and Brickworks Co' from 1885 to 1900. It was then owned by Thomas Williams and Sons, Llangennech (TW&S) and closed by the NCB in 1952. The site is now buried beneath the M4 motorway.

Llanybyther - SN 5038 4226

I'm assuming that Llanybyther Brickworks is the brickworks shown on the map at Highmead. I'm told that a large walled garden was built there in the 1860s for which the brickworks may have been built. The brickworks only appears on the 1887 map and is already marked as 'disused'.

Pen-y-groes, Emlyn Brickworks - SN 5841 1351

Emlyn Brick Company Limited was formed on 22/12/1920, previously Emlyn Anthracite Collieries Ltd and latterly owned by Aeron Thomas. The kiln was built in 1911, a 16 chamber Hoffman type built by Manchester Kiln who supplied the lining and Emlyn supplied the bricks at a cost of £536. Previously, beehive kilns had been used on site. Two vintage presses made by Bradley & Craven of Wakefield were said to be 80 and 100 years old and are now in Swansea Museum. The brick making capacity was 70,000 per week, rising to 90,000 per week when a new draught improver was installed on 3rd April 1995. Castle Brick Co. was formed in 9/2/1994. In the office were photos of the anthracite colliery, 1901, 1906 and 1931. (as reported by Mike Stokes in April 1995)

Pontyates - SN 4779 0863

Ynys-Hafren Brickworks

St Clears

Up to four brickworks existed at St Clears - Upper, Lower and Victoria Brickworks and possibly one other.

Trimsaran - SN 4657 0527

Trimsaran Upper Colliery Brickworks

Pembrokeshire

Quick link to :-     Llanelly     Carmarthenshire     Pembrokeshire

Angle - SM 8541 0311

The Angle Brick Works was established in the 1880′s by the Angle Estate. At that time there were 3 kilns. The products included bricks of several varieties, roof and quarry tiles, ridge tiles, and drain pipes. Later, blocks of simulated stone were produced.

Goodwick, Fishguard - SM 9406 3764

Goodwick Brickworks Co Ltd, Open by 1907 as Fishguard Harbour Brickworks Co Ltd until 1910 when it became Goodwick Brickworks Co Ltd. In 1946 it was part of the British Anthracite Co Ltd and closed c1969. The quarry used RH 193973, purchased new in 1938 and scrapped in 1970.

Hean Castle, Saundersfoot - SN 1433 0598

The brickworks adjacent to the iron foundry at Hean Castle was founded in 1845 by Thomas Stokes and closed in c1887. It traded as Tenby Silica Co in c1860, Hean Castle Brick Co in c1864 and Woolston Firebrick Works c1867. Bricks were originally imprinted 'Stokes Saundersfoot Pembs' and from c1864 'Hean Castle Tenby pattern'.

Johnston, Haverfordwest - SM 9332 1113

Johnston Brick and Tile Co, owned by G E Carrow & Co, mentioned in Kellys Directory from 1895 to 1920

Landshipping - SN 0041 1001

A brick kiln is shown on the 1865 OS Map and a brickyard close by in 1907.

Pen-y-cwm, near Newgale - SM 8439 2290

A brickworks and tramway are shown as 'disused' on the 1907 OS Map in Cwm Mawr

Porthgain - SM 8145 3253

Porthgain Quarries Ltd

Slebech - SN 0356 1446

'Coflein' identify the area around 'Brickfield Bottom' as a likely site for a brickworks.

Templeton - SN 1129 1094

Templeton Brickworks opened circa 1868 and was known as Templeton Silica Works. The bricks produced were a specialised fire brick invented by the Quaker Entrepreneur William Weston Young. The rock used to make the bricks was sourced from 3 local Templeton quarries, Cleggars, North Hill and Whitehouse. They ceased making bricks in the 1920’s.


Dedicated to the work of Mike Stokes

The 'Brickworks of South Wales' was the work of the late Mike Stokes on his excellent website, The Brickworks of South Wales. Following Mike's untimely death his website is inaccessible and may suddenly go offline so I have transcribed it here and am expanding it as time allows.

Acknowledgments, sources and further reading.

A great many other people have supplied information and photos to add to the story, so many thanks to (alphabetically) Graham Bennett, Mike Bennett, Ian Cooke, Gary Davies, Steve Davies, Martyn Fretwell, Andrew Harvard, Tracey Hucker, Glen Johnson, Kes Jones, Mike Kilner, David Kitching, Frank Lawson, Norman Lowe, Frank Moore, Stephen Parry, Richard Paterson, Ian Pickford, Glyn Roberts, Dave Sallery, Lawrence Skuse, Ian Suddaby, Templeton Heritage Group, Gareth Thomas, David Wood amonst many others.

A suberb book entitled 'Life in the Victorian brickworks of Flintshire and Denbighshire', written by Andrew Connolly, has a vast amount of information on the bricks and brickworks along with chapters on the brickmaking process itself. There are nearly 300 large pages of text, photos and maps and it is available from the publishers for just £6.00 :- Carreg Gwalch

The Brocross/Penmorfa website is the best source of info on bricks and brickworks in the UK :- Old Bricks - history at your feet

For very good coverage of Scottish bricks and quite a bit about other places too :- Scottishbrickhistory.co.uk

Martyn Feltwell has two very good sites here :- East Midlands Named Bricks and UK Named Bricks
There is a specialist society for brick history :- britishbricksoc.co.uk

There's also a 'Facebook' group for bricks and brickworks :- Facebook 'Bricks and Brickworks past' group


The Rest of this Website


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins