This is Neath Abbey Ironworks, which was established in the eighteenth century. There are several notable surviving structures including two superb blast furnaces dating from 1793 built against a rock face for ease of charging, Ty Mawr, the ironmaster's house of 1801 and the engine manufactory. Higher up the Clydach valley is a former water-powered forge with an iron roof cast at the works in 1825. The building was later used as a woollen mill and machinery was removed to the former Swansea Maritime and Industrial Museum. Further upstream, the river was dammed to ensure a reserve of water and a strong steady flow to the ironworks. The present large masonry dam, which carries a public road, dates from about 1840. The Ironworks finally closed in 1885.