Penydarran tramroad bridge
Industrial Wales - South and Mid-Glamorgan
The Northern Taff Vale
From Pontypridd to Merthyr and Aberdare
Search the site here

The Industrial History and Archaeology of South and Mid-Glamorgan

Click on the button to go to :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and sometimes read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.

Latest Photos

Quick links to :-     Pontypridd to Ynysybwl     Abercynon     The Penydarren Tramroad
Abercanaid     The Cynon Valley     Merthyr Tydfil and the North

Cwm Pit, Abercanaid - SO 0442 0431

Cwm Pit is beside the Eastern portal of the Vale of Neath Railway's Abernant Tunnel, opened in 1853 and the fourth-longest in Wales. Cwm Pit was sunk in 1845 by Robert Crawshay and was the start of the tub-boat canal to Cyfarthfa. Cwm Pit closed in 1910 but was used for drainage until 1924.

Blaencanaid blast furnace and ironworks - SO 0374 0459

The ruins of Blaencanaid blast furnace date back to the 1560s, one of the oldest ironworks in Wales. It only stands about 12 ft high and the blast was probably powered by a waterwheel in the stream to the side of it. There are remains of a low level next to it which may have supplied the ironstone to feed it, the fuel being charcoal from the surrounding woodland. The furnace is about 400yds along the path behind the information board.


Pontypridd to Ynysybwl

Quick links to :-     Pontypridd to Ynysybwl     Abercynon     The Penydarren Tramroad
Abercanaid     The Cynon Valley     Merthyr Tydfil and the North

The Barry Railway and other spots around Pontypridd

The Glamorgan Canal at Pontypridd - ST 0790 0911

These are locks 31 and 32 on the Glamorganshire Canal, next to the 'Newbridge Chain and Anchor Works', later 'Brown Lennox'. The works opened in 1818 and closed in 2000, having noteably made chains for 'SS Great Britain' and 'Queen Elizabeth II'. Restoration of the lock began in 2010.

Ynysybwl

A walk up the Ynysybwl branchline and the site of Lady Windsor Colliery


Cilfynydd and Abercynon to Pont-y-gwaith

Quick links to :-     Pontypridd to Ynysybwl     Abercynon     The Penydarren Tramroad
Abercanaid     The Cynon Valley     Merthyr Tydfil and the North

Cilfynydd

Abercynon Colliery or Dowlais Cardiff Colliery

The Glamorganshire Canal in Abercynon

The TVR through Abercynon

TVR Llancaiach branch - ST 0870 9465

This is the 1841 branch to Nelson and Llancaiach, high up on the valley side between the Whitehall Golf Course road and the top of the incline down to Ynysydwr.

Cefn Glas Colliery - ST 0801 9685

Pont-y-gwaith - ST 0808 9757

The site of Pont-y-gwaith ironworks, dating from the 1580s and subject of a 19th c. painting in the National Museum. The bridge replaced a wooden one in 1811. I'm not at all sure what the pill box was protecting, perhaps Merthyr was going to invade Pontypridd at some time. Just below the canal bank there was a row of ten houses, 'Buarth-glas Terrace', sacrificed to the motorway but you can still see the site.


The Pen-y-darren Tramroad

Quick links to :-     Pontypridd to Ynysybwl     Abercynon     The Penydarren Tramroad
Abercanaid     The Cynon Valley     Merthyr Tydfil and the North

from Abercynon to Pont-y-gwaith

Plymouth Ironworks - SO 0560 0500

Plymouth Ironworks has long gone and little remains to mark it. The Penydarran Tramroad ran in a tunnel under the site and one portal has been reconstructed to mark the 'oldest railway tunnel in the world'. The footbridge is typical but probably not original.


Aberfan and Abercanaid

Quick links to :-     Pontypridd to Ynysybwl     Abercynon     The Penydarren Tramroad
Abercanaid     The Cynon Valley     Merthyr Tydfil and the North

Aberfan

Upper Abercanaid - SO 0518 0431

Lower Abercanaid - SO 0575 0360


The Cynon Valley

Quick links to :-     Pontypridd to Ynysybwl     Abercynon     The Penydarren Tramroad
Abercanaid     The Cynon Valley     Merthyr Tydfil and the North

Mountain Ash and Penrikyber Colliery

Cwmdare

The Dare Valley Country Park and its industrial heritage

Penderyn and Tor-y-Foel Quarry - SN 9415 0900

Tor-y-Foel Quarry was the earliest quarry in Penderyn, probably used from 1757. The tramway was built in 1799 to connect to the Hirwaun tramroad, converted in 1904 to a standard gauge railway line.


The Rest of this Website


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins