New Ham Ironmine
Around the World - The British Isles
The Forest of Dean - North East
Collieries, iron mines, railways and tramroads around Cinderford
Search the site here

The Transport and Industries of South-Western England

Click on the button to go to :-

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge a photo or map and read more about it.
Then click 'Full Size' on the toolbar to see it in all its glory.


Howbeach

Quick links to :-     Howbeach     Lea Bailey     Morses Level
    New Fancy Colliery     Trafalgar Colliery     Wallsend Colliery
    Lydney and the South West     Blakeney and the South East     Coleford and the North West

Howbeach Colliery and Quarry - SO 6403 0863

Brookall Ditches - SO 6188 0888

Quidchurch Colliery - SO 6490 1015


Lea Bailey

Quick links to :-     Howbeach     Lea Bailey     Morses Level
    New Fancy Colliery     Trafalgar Colliery     Wallsend Colliery
    Lydney and the South West     Blakeney and the South East     Coleford and the North West

Lea Bailey Light Railway, Near Drybrook - SO 6440 1955

Opened in 1906, Lea Bailey was a goldmine but very little gold was found. It was extended into Wigpool Iron Mine and the iron proved more valuable. During WW2 shells were stored in the nearby Hawthorns (Euroclydon) tunnel, connected by a 2ft gauge line. A tourist line was set up in 1995 but abandoned by 2010. Since 2012 a small group of volunteers are trying to revive the idea.


Morses Level

Quick links to :-     Howbeach     Lea Bailey     Morses Level
    New Fancy Colliery     Trafalgar Colliery     Wallsend Colliery
    Lydney and the South West     Blakeney and the South East     Coleford and the North West

Morses Level - SO 6400 0880

Underground at Morses Level

An underground visit to the level organised by Gwent Caving Club


New Fancy Colliery

Quick links to :-     Howbeach     Lea Bailey     Morses Level
    New Fancy Colliery     Trafalgar Colliery     Wallsend Colliery
    Lydney and the South West     Blakeney and the South East     Coleford and the North West

New Fancy Colliery - SO 6275 0960

New Fancy colliery was opened by Edward Protheroe in 1827, as part of the Park End Coal Company. By 1860 it was owned by Sully & Company and in 1885 was sold to the Parkend & New Fancy Collieries Company. It closed in 1944.

In 2013 the No 2 shaft was subsiding so it needed re-capping. While doing it, some machinery was found over the old shaft which turns out to be parts of a pumping system. These are the angle bobs of a horizontal shaft that could be driven by either a horizontal or rotary engine. The system was built by T Bennett & Co, Pontypool Foundry.


Trafalgar Colliery

Quick links to :-     Howbeach     Lea Bailey     Morses Level
    New Fancy Colliery     Trafalgar Colliery     Wallsend Colliery
    Lydney and the South West     Blakeney and the South East     Coleford and the North West

Trafalgar Colliery and Brain's tramroad - SO 6250 1445


Wallsend Colliery

Quick links to :-     Howbeach     Lea Bailey     Morses Level
    New Fancy Colliery     Trafalgar Colliery     Wallsend Colliery
    Lydney and the South West     Blakeney and the South East     Coleford and the North West

Wallsend Colliery - SO 6426 0853

An underground visit to the colliery organised by Gwent Caving Club


Acknowledgments, sources and further reading.

Thanks for addition information and photos to :- Paul Baverstock, Ian Castledine, Iain Jameison, Hopewell Colliery, Iain Jameison, Phil Conway-Jones (oldindustrial.wordpress.com), Mark Turner (Onecall Cabs), John Wood


A Guide to the Website


All rights reserved - Phil Jenkins